Let’s say that your home has no pets, smokers, or family members who work all day around asbestos. Let’s also say that you replace the air filters regularly and even have the ducts cleaned.
All of this does not ensure good indoor air quality.
The fact is that certain household products may be affecting your health. Below are four that should be removed ASAP.
Air fresheners, even those that are called organic or “green,” will emit toxic chemicals called volatile organic compounds. These are carcinogenic chemicals that easily evaporate into the air. Well-known VOCs include:
Acetone, ethanol, and a few other VOCs like acetate can be found in most air fresheners. The EPA is very clear about the dangers of VOC exposure, listing among the immediate health effects:
Eye, nose, and throat irritation
Headaches and nausea
Fatigue and dizziness
Allergic skin reactions
Scented Cleaning Products
A host of VOCs, not to mention bleach and ammonia, are found in scented cleaning products. Be careful in particular about the fragrances found in fabric softeners and laundry detergents. The American Lung Association warns that even natural fragrances can cause indoor air pollution.
These scented products may be more appealing than plain water and baking soda, but then, you can choose odorless and environmentally friendly cleaning products as well.
Opened Cans of Paint
Benzene-free paints exist, but the cans of paint lying in your garage are probably not that, in which case you run the risk of developing those health effects listed above. High levels of benzene exposure speed up the heart rate, cause unconsciousness and sometimes lead to death.
Butanal, mentioned above, is a VOC commonly linked with burning candles. These can give off all kinds of particulate air matter, some of which cause lung inflammation. However, beeswax candles and soy candles are safe to use.
For your indoor air quality needs, contact Thermo Direct at (919) 355-9880.